A Family Member


Hello, today I’d write about the mom of my mom, my grandma. Her name is Eugenie, but my sister and I always had call her Yeye, and it sort of stuck in the family.

She was the smallest and only girl of the family. Her great-grandparent were Italian immigrants and they were the third generation that was born on Chile. She likes to say that the artistic talents inside the family are because of our Italian blood.

The family didn’t have a good economic situation, and sometimes she tells us about the struggles they went through. But my grandmother always had a good brain over her shoulders, so she took all the opportunities presented to her. She studied accountancy and worked in the public service. Sometimes she remembers her time on the SENAME and gets irritated with some of her supervisor of the time.

Growing up she was always there helping my mother with us, we are very close because of that, but sometimes I found her a little hard with people, and very lonely because she will say that she didn’t have friends, period. So, now I’m very happy with her living in the coast instead of Santiago because she seems more relaxed. She goes to different senior citizens courses were she finally made friends. I was very happy one time my mother called her and she said she was going out with “the girls”.

Now we only see her when we have the free time to go to her beach house, but they are great times. We talk a lot and bake and take some walks to the forest, the beach or to Valparaiso when she has to do some errands, and I hope we could keep doing it with her for many years in the future.

Comments

  1. Your grandmother must be a very nice and interesting person :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts