Why are you like this?


After some conversation behind scenes, it was decided that I’ll use this free post to talk about soap operas, specifically about my dislike of most of them.
(the other options were more of the line of a crazy fangirl, so there…)

I remember watching soap operas with my mother and grandmother since I was little, “Pasion de Gavilanes”, “El Zorro: la espada y la rosa” and “Betty la Fea” are the ones I remember the most, I think because of the opening songs. But they are the memories of my childhood and we would not critique them now.

My problem is with the ones I’m seeing now on TV when I have more conscience of some themes and problems I didn’t have when I was little. I realized that the plot inside of them was excessively dramatic a long time ago, but “Verdades Ocultas” was the one that made me start ranting to my sister about the stupidity of the stories inside of them. I have an utter dislike of how all this soap operas present romantic relationships, and the woman on it. Even when they want us to see them like the lead romantic pair and like the ultimate soulmates, their relationship is toxic, most of the time the man isn’t good for the female heroine (or vice versa), but all the crap around them makes her go back to this foul guy. They make the female bend down to his necessities and wishes, forgive his wrongdoings because she “loves him so much” and because she is “such a good and forgiving person”. The same for many other relationships, brothers and sisters doing bad things to one another, friendships breaking for stupid betrayals and, because for an inevitable reason, they ended falling in love with the same person.

I don’t say they have to be the paragon of goodness and good sense, but they keep showing us over and over how to make the worst decisions ever and want us to believe that it’s an epic, sweet and romantic trip between two destined lovers. When there are just bad or stupid people doing bad or stupid things.

That's the song that sometimes repeats in a loop inside my brain, watch it


Comments

  1. At this time the chilean's soap operas had just bad examples in all kinds of relationships ugh...
    "Pasion de Gavilanes", what a clasic xD

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the soap operas are not directed at us, but towards ladies over 40 years old ewe

    ReplyDelete
  3. I very much agree with everything you say. I stopped watching tv a long time ago for these reasons

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts